• Denise S.

#TeachingTuesday: Riding in Europe during the Transition Period post Brexit

Updated: Feb 7, 2020

During the Transition period (to end of 2020) what does that mean if riding touring in Europe? Until 1st January 2021, nothing will change. However, do you know what the rules are now?

Regardless of where you are travelling, and what your friends may tell you, the requirements can change so always check out the specific details for that country via the Government website https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit

If it's your first time, it can be quite daunting so check out the top tips link below.

What bike can you ride in Europe?

You cannot take a 125 to Europe if you only ride on a CBT. The CBT only entitles you to ride in the Country where the course was taken. To ride a motorcycle in Europe you will need to have taken a full test.

What do you need to carry with you?

Alongside your insurance documents, you'll also need to carry your driving licence, any travel documents and also your registration V5 certificate as well as a European Health Insurance card and of course, your passport.


Make sure all key documents are stored in a waterproof bag, perhaps inside your jacket pocket so they are easily accessible and won’t get damaged in the rain. It’s a good idea if you can, scan a copy of your passport main page and email to yourself, then if you ever lose it, you have a copy to refer to when you get a replacement.

Are you insured and covered for Breakdown?

Most insurance policies covers travel on a third party basis, however these days, a high proportion also cover Comprehensive up to 90 days in Europe. Make sure you check! Also, ask if they need notifying before you travel, are there any restrictions (number of days per travel period), do you have any recovery included (often UK cover does not extend to Europe). Check out short term recovery if you don’t have it, the last thing you want is to be stranded with a very costly recovery bill for the sake of a few pounds up front.

Hiring a bike in Europe

A good option if you want to fly further into Europe or have limited time to be away. Key things to consider; you can negotiate the price (the more days you hire the more discount), always ask! Insurance on hired bikes usually only covers the bike and not you. Your own insurance won’t cover you when its not your vehicle. Likely you will need to take out Extreme Sport Travel Insurance which covers you for accident/injury but also has extras for theft/damage to your gear (check out the levels, the lower cheaper levels won’t cover enough for the cost of replacement safety gear).

Look for Co’s who provide phone holders (so you can use maps or satnav) and box/luggage (so you can carry extra items, drinks, waterproofs, etc). Ask if they know good routes you can take, they know the area and can easily share directions these days via Google Maps/WhatsApp etc. Ask how old the bikes are/mileage. Make sure you check the bike over/take photos before you set off just in case! A number of Countries in Europe are zero tolerance with speeding, so check it out before you go!

First time on a Ferry?

Never been on a ferry on your bike before? Don’t fear……the thought is worse than reality! All bikes go on together and so give yourself space, take your time and just follow the lead. The hardest part is working out the ratchet straps to tie your bike down! There is always someone from the ferry to help, or other bikers who have done it before. Then go and relax ready for your amazing time.

Useful links




Keep an eye on the page as there will be always new updates .

Ride safe,

Denise S.

224 views0 comments